Thursday, March 23, 2006

zim

My buddy told me the other day he was really getting into Invader Zim. My buddy is the same age as me-- we're old. Not being a kid, I had no idea what he was talking about. So I set the old DVR to record every episode. For a Y7-rated show, it's surprisingly badass. It's actually quite disturbing. Yeah, it has the boldly-defined lines, which are mandatory for cartoons these days it seems. But it also incorporates some playful Giger-esque/Wachowski-ish future gothic stylings. The action sequences are creative and entertaining. GIR, Zim's sidekick robot is insane to the degree of lovability. Even the diminutive Zim, hell-bent on taking over earth for the Irken empire, endears himself with his genius ineptness and his emphatic references to himself in the third person. From what I've seen so far, the half-hour program is split into two segments to cover both sides of Zim's world-- the alien and the alien disguised as human boy. The human boy, Dib, is on to Zim and works to thwart Zim at every step of the way. Dib's little sister, Gaz, realizes Zim has no chance of success. Gaz, the artsy kid who will grow up to make cartoons like Invader Zim, truly is Zim's guardian angel-- preventing her brother from destroying the poor little alien.



So check it out if you have the time. With The Daily Show and ,The Colbert Report, I don't know how many more half-hour dailies I can take. I'm taking in way too much Viacom. And the podcasts... I'm going to have to cut myself off. Damn you, Television! Damn you, DVR! Damn you, RSS Feed! Damn you, Compelling Novel! Damn you, Addictive Video Game! Damn you, Sudoku!

No comments: